Flossing, the act of removing food and debris stuck between your teeth, is something that everyone should be doing, daily. If you don’t floss, then your oral health is missing out big time! We’re here to show you how to floss correctly so you can continue flashing that perfect smile.
The benefits of flossing
So why should we go through all that trouble cleaning in between our teeth when we all brush (presumably) twice a day? Here are 5 good reasons why you should remember to floss every day!
- Flossing removes additional plaque and bacteria where your toothbrush can’t reach.
- It eliminates plaque below the gumline which can erode tooth enamel and develop into tartar.
- It reduces the risk of cavities and gum soreness.
- Flossing has been known to prevent gingivitis, which could turn into periodontitis if not taken care of.
- It also removes bacteria that causes bad breath.
How to floss the right way
Flossing is pretty simple. But before we show you how to do it, you’ll first need to get a pack of dental floss! Dental floss is pretty affordable and you can easily buy it at your nearest pharmacy. There are various types of floss like tape or the classic dental string floss.
How to floss your teeth the right way
- Get out your floss and cut 40cm. A longer piece of string would make things easier.
- Wrap the floss around your index finger on each hand, until the string is stretched out taut. 15cm of taut floss string is enough, as you’ll also need to use it to floss in between your back teeth!
- Wedge the floss gently between your teeth. Slow and steady wins the race. Use gentle back-and-forth motions to ease the floss in between your teeth if they’re too tight. You’ll notice some browning or gunk on your floss, which means you’re doing it right.
- Run the floss from the base of your tooth all the way to the top, and remember to do it for both sides! Most importantly, go slow when your floss gets close to the gum tissue. If floss touches your gums, it may cause a little pain and bleeding so let’s avoid that!
- When you’re about to floss a new tooth, remember to wind the floss so that you’re using a clean section.
- Rinse and repeat until you’ve flossed all your teeth!
Perks of a water flosser
The benefits of water flossing
As there are many ways to floss, we thought we’d talk about one of the coolest ways you can do so – with a water flosser of course! There are many benefits of using powerful water jet technology to clean your teeth, compared to dental floss.
For instance, the Zenyum Waterflosser Pro has 4 nozzle jet tips for a targeted clean. Each tip is designed for a different clean. For instance, the Periodontal Pocket Tip is designed to clean deep into the tooth pocket, so you can have a healthy smile! Plus, a water flosser makes flossing easier than ever because you don’t need to use your index fingers to get it done. And you get to save a bit of time too.
How often should you floss your teeth
Flossing once a day is sufficient to keep your teeth nice and clean, and it’s best to choose a time that works for your schedule. If you’re a morning person, why not incorporate it into your morning ritual and start the day with a clean mouth? Or if you prefer nightly routines, floss before bedtime so you can end the day with a healthy smile. Sometimes, you may need to floss more than once a day to remove food particles stuck between your teeth.
Smile Tip: Carry a couple of floss picks in your bag so you can remove gnarly bits of food stuck in your teeth anytime!
Regarding the age old question of whether you should floss before or after brushing, either way works fine. However, a study showed that it’s much better to floss first and then brush, simply because flossing first loosens any bacteria and debris between your teeth, and brushing afterwards cleans particles away.
How to use Zenyum’s Waterflosser Pro
- Charge your Waterflosser Pro to experience its powerful water jet technology. Thankfully, one charge can last up to 30 days!
- While the device is off, fill up the high-capacity tank with up to 280ml of water.
- Attach your jet tip of choice and simply insert it into place. The full 360° tip rotation gives you a powerful, deep clean, leaving no spot unturned.
- Pick a cleaning mode. There’s 5 cleaning modes including one that’s perfect for a gentle clean!
- Hold your Waterflosser Pro upright over the sink and place the jet tip in your mouth.
- Aim at your gum line and turn your Waterflosser Pro on to start flossing!
- Start with your back teeth and move to your front. Partially close your lips to let the water out of your mouth.
Picking the right floss for you
Floss picks are plastic picks with one end shaped like a bow, and are portable. If you don’t have your water flosser with you, these bad boys are best used when you need to floss on-the-go, like the moment before you go on a first date!
If you don’t want unexpected appearances from your last meal when you smile, just use ZenyumFresh™ Floss Picks for a worry-free smile anytime, anywhere. Its sturdy nylon strings target plaque buildup and cleans your teeth effectively while being gentle on your gums.
How to use ZenyumFresh™ Floss Picks
- After any meal, use the pick to dislodge larger food debris
- For more stubborn food debris, slide the floss between your teeth and gums using an up and down motion
- Rinse your mouth after, and you’re done!
Flossing can be so much fun
And super easy too!