A confident new smile starts with a decision to change your life. But with every important decision, it’s best to know what you need to consider.
1. You have to do your research
It’s imperative you do your due diligence when it comes to research and exploring your available options. You want to fix your teeth, easy – you go to your dentist.
But today, the best way to make an informed choice (with minimal cost and travel time) is a quick Google search. You’ll find a plethora of teeth braces online – all with their own price ranges, durations, and pros and cons – but how do you know which one is right for you?
Searching for the right option can be time-consuming. In case you don’t have the time, here are your options in a nutshell: invisible braces, metal braces, and DIY solutions.
2. Determine what you want fixed
To find out which solution is suitable for you, you need to first:
a. Figure out what exactly you want to correct about your teeth, and
b. Consult a professional.
Braces, like any other medical procedure should be a doctor-supervised treatment.
It’s important to determine what you want to fix about your smile so your dentist can assess your dental condition and recommend the right solution for you.
Be it making minor aesthetic corrections to your teeth, or tackling more complex teeth movements, Zenyum offers affordable and customised treatment plans that can cater to both sets of needs.
However, be aware that invisible braces are not suitable for everyone.
So how do you know if invisible braces can fix your teeth condition?
Simply take our very own free smile assessment here.
3. Create a budget
Figure out what you’re comfortable with spending. Teeth straightening is an investment and you want to make sure you’re budgeting an adequate amount for it.
The cost of braces will vary depending on the options you’ll come across. But always remember to find out your financing options—a whole bunch of brands have instalment plans and pricing guides you should utilise. For example, Zenyum allows you to pay in instalments ranging from 3-6 months depending on the aligner plan you’re on.
Most consultations online are also free, so go ahead and do them.
4. Recognise that it's a commitment
Getting invisible braces is a time commitment. You need to put in the effort to see the results. It all comes down to your self discipline.
Are you wearing your invisible braces regularly for 20 – 22 hours a day?
Have you been keeping track of which aligner set you’re on?
Luckily a whole bunch of brands out there are trying to make this as easy a process as possible via their apps and regular reminders. (Us at Zenyum, included.)
But at the end of the day it all comes down to you and consistency. When building any new habit, consistency is key. This, coupled with honesty.
If you haven’t been wearing your aligners for 20 hours a day, be honest with yourself and your dentist. Instead of beating yourself up about it, focus on building regularity in your habits.
5. You have to be prepared for a lifestyle change
You’ll notice the little tweaks you have started making in your everyday routine, like:
- Carrying a mini toothbrush and toothpaste set with you wherever you go.
- Floss picks will be your new best friend. It’s handy to keep them with you at all times.
- Snacking less. Chronic snackers barely touch snacks after getting invisible braces because removing and putting them on, sometimes, seems like too much effort. Weight loss is just an added bonus to invisible braces!
- Drinking less coffee. Remember, no hot liquids with your aligners on.
- More bathroom breaks. Taking those aligners off for a meal in a social setting is a tad more of an embarrassing and TMI situation than you need to be in.
6. There will be some pain involved
But it’s more discomfort than pain, to be honest.
That’s because you’re literally applying physical pressure to move your teeth. But thanks to technology and the trusty orthodontists who made it, it’s not a pain that’ll have you popping painkillers every 5 minutes. And like any major change, it requires an adjustment period.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- First, use your chewies. Every time you change your aligners, bite down on your chewies for around a minute to make sure your invisible braces are sitting correctly on your teeth.
- When you change your aligners, do it at night. This way your adjustment period occurs at night while you’re asleep, and by morning you won’t even notice the discomfort.
- Put some water in your trays. It makes it easier to place and fit your aligners onto your teeth.
Just remember, it’s all about time – after the first two weeks you won’t even notice the discomfort!
7. You need to wear retainers every night after your treatment
It cannot be stressed enough how crucial it is to wear your retainers post treatment.
Especially in those first few crucial months. It’s the only way to ensure your teeth stay in place and don’t get misaligned again—rendering your entire smile transformation journey useless. Retainers look just like aligners, but have a totally different purpose. Instead of applying pressure to move your teeth, they focus on keeping them in place. After any type of dental treatment; be it invisible braces or metal ones, retainers are absolutely pivotal in completing (and retaining) your smile transformation.
8. Confidence starts with you
This is probably the single most important tip on this list, and also the most overlooked.
Confidence comes from within, and it starts with you. Recognising what you’re unhappy about and taking the first step to fix it is empowering. But no amount of cosmetic alteration can bring you happiness if you’re not confident in your own skin. We are our own biggest critics – constantly questioning ourselves, focusing on our flaws, criticising our work.
It’s exhausting and demoralising.
The way you speak to yourself is how the world speaks to you.
So, change the way you talk to yourself, block out the negative thoughts, take action, and keep smiling!
Want the perfect invisible braces?
Zenyum provides the perfect option all while making it affordable!