Getting your teeth fixed with metal braces used to mean burning thousands of dollars and being dubbed ‘metal mouth’ for two years, even if you only needed minor straightening work (i.e. non-severe cases).
But invisible braces have changed all that because they’re:
- More affordable
- Shorter treatment plan
- Basically a godsend
Thus–explaining their rising popularity for crooked teeth problems.
With so many direct-to-consumer teeth-straightening service providers popping up left and right, it can be pretty challenging for a consumer such as yourself to make a choice.
To help you out, this article compares two of the newest clear braces in Malaysia: Zenyum and Become.
What are invisible braces?
Invisible braces are a series of custom-made, tight-fitting mouthpieces (aka clear aligners) that slip over the teeth. Over time, you exchange your old aligner for a new one; each one designed to apply gentle and consistent pressure to progressively straighten your teeth.
These clear aligners are made of medical-grade, BPA-free plastic.
Unlike metal braces, invisible braces are
- Highly discreet (thus the word ‘invisible.’), AND
- Removable. Yup, you can remove them during meal-times, and while brushing your teeth.
Of course, you’d still need to have the discipline to keep them on for at least 20 to 22 hours a day for best results.
What is Zenyum?
Zenyum is a Singapore-based smile cosmetics startup founded in 2018 with the primary aim of making invisible braces more accessible in Asia.
The company realises this through its flagship product: the 3D printed Invisible Braces, which offers the following:
- A fixed, affordable price tag of MYR 5,599 (70% more affordable than traditional teeth-straightening solutions!)
- Licensed dentist supervision
- 24/7 accessibility to dentists, orthodontists & customer care team through the Zenyum app (which also allows consumers to upload pictures of their teeth)
Now, you may be wondering, ‘Wow–with round-the-clock accessibility to dentists and orthodontists, how does Zenyum keep prices low?’ Good question. Well, it manages this by:
- Verticalising a lot of the value chain by qualifying potential customers through their own processes
- Only accepting customers after a stringent screening process which includes an in-person 3D scan of teeth at a licensed dentist/orthodontist’s office – this way, there’s less unpredictability in treatment outcomes and more happy customers
- Tapping into dentists’ deep expertise without taking up too much of their time with the Zenyum app.
What is Become?
Become is a Malaysian DIY braces startup that aims to make teeth-straightening more accessible. It offers the following:
- Price of MYR 5,399 upfront*
- Licensed dentist supervision
- Direct line to their customer service agents (‘Smile Companions’) through the becomeDiary, a mobile-responsive webApp (which also allows customers to upload pictures of their teeth)
*Price does not take into account special promotions.
Okay, what’s ACTUALLY different between Zenyum & Become?
Wait a minute–just how is that different from Zenyum?
Both invisible braces companies offer affordability, claim dentist supervision, and a 24/7 line of communication to dentists, orthodontists and the customer care team.
Before you click ‘X’ and exit this article thinking that you can choose either, just hang on for a minute.
Because there are 2 jarring differences between Zenyum and Become you do not want to miss out on.
Zenyum has a real screening with X-rays
We don’t just offer 3D-scans.
We provide 3D-scans and a thorough, physical consultation with a dentist with X-rays prior to treatment.
We insist on this because X-rays help the dentist identify any problems under the gums.
Become does offer 3D scans at their becomeStudios™, but these are not supervised by a licensed dentist/orthodontist.
So if you move your teeth while having underlying teeth or gum issues that your consultation may have missed out on, you may experience a whole lot of pain – or even worse – LOSE YOUR TEETH!
Zenyum vs. Become (Which is better?)
At first glance, Zenyum and Become are indeed pretty similar:
- They are both affordable
- Both are direct-to-consumer invisible braces startup companies based in Southeast-Asia
- Both offer remote monitoring of the treatment process through an app (mobile app for Zenyum, web app for Become)
But that’s where the similarities end.
For a quick comparison of the two clear braces providers, check out the table below:
Okay, just tell me: the Blue or Pink invisible braces???
When it comes to your teeth, you only want the best invisible braces that’ll do what it promises–to straighten your teeth.
And not, you know, make your teeth worse than they were before the treatment.
The truth is that you’ll dramatically reduce the risk of treatment failure when you go with a company that trusts the expertise and knowledge of licensed dentists.
Instead of one that:
- Does not give you any X-ray
- Only involves dentists through remote monitoring
Weigh your options, and you’ll quickly realise there’s one clear winner.
Free Your Smile Today
The straightest, widest, most uninhibited smile ever is waiting to be unleashed on an unsuspecting public.
Will it be YOUR smile?